Date:
Sat, 29 May 1999 23:54:16 EDT
In a message dated 5/26/99 2:19:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> There has been some interesting discussion about requeening using queen
>  cells.  I have also noted though some posts (I think by Dave Green)
>  mentioning that there is a certain time that the queen larvae are very
>  delicate.  What exactly is the time period (days from grafting) when the
>  larvae are delicate?  What methods do people use for transporting queen
>  cells during the day from yard to yard?

       Uncapped queen cells (larval stage) aren't too fragile, though I
suppose a real hard knock could separate the larva from her food. Once they
are capped, I am careful not to turn them over, or handle roughly until they
are "ripe," about one day from emergence. At that point the wax at the tip
will change appearance, and begin to really look like a cap. Often it will
appear fibrous, as the bees are chewing on it. At this point, the cells can
be cut and carried without the need to be held in the same position. I still
try to be gentle though.  I carry them in a styrofoam container to protect
them from sudden temperature changes.

    If they are turned upside down during the wing development, they will not
develop normally. A queen that can't fly, cannot mate.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm