Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2012 18:23:28 -0500
> So what I am saying is that the best operators drive right down the middle
> of the possibilities and take the most riskless choices they can see.
>
> Generally speaking (for Bill), the adverse effects of failing to remove
> honey in Alberta are worse than the effects of removing too much -- as long
> as the option is there to feed heavily and promptly the moment the supers
> are off and hives seem light.
>
> And, yes the fear of granulation complicates things.

This is one of those areas that separates the small/hobby beekeeper from
the commercial beekeeper- management of winter stores. It also mates with
Allen's comments about beekeepers who really do not know how to manage bees.

If the small timer uses George Imire's method of managing winter stores,
there is generally no need to feed. But Georges method is labor intensive,
something the small guy has in excess but the commercial guy would go broke
if they followed it.

So, yes, for the large operator, winter feeding is essential. For the
smaller beekeeper, there should be no need, as I have experienced here in
Maine where winters are cold and dysentery is a real threat.Fall honey
granulates readily.

But,if the beekeeper does not know what to do (back to what Allen wanted to
say but did not, but that is why I help him out) then feeding is essential.

The issue, again, is the beekeeper's level of knowledge and not the
practice. Or, as George liked to say in all caps....Beekeepers not
BEEHAVERS!

For any not familiar with George, Google his name and "pink pages" for a
wealth of wisdom. One of the good guys.

As noted, you do not have to be a small time beekeeper to be a BEEHAVER.

My read on this thread was another one of those "we big guys know
everything and the rest of you don't". I know that was probably not
intended, but the perception was strong, hence my reply. Especially for
clarification for those new to the list and who do not know the
personalities of the posters and understand if a grain or ten tons of salt
should be taken.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine