From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2008 19:37:40 -0400

Well, you forgot the context. What I said was:

> You take an invasive pest, which vectors viral disease and knock it down about 90% over and over -- what do you get? You get tough mites, weakened bees, and a whole slew of opportunistic infections, like nosema, mutated viruses, possibly *combined* viruses.

This repeated application of treatments which are not completely
effective creates an endless cycle in which the bees are propped up
but never really cured. Meanwhile, in their weakened state, changes
occur that encourage opportunistic infections and mutations.

The whole point is to add better bees into the equation. (see my
article in June ABJ). If you stop treating you get better bees -- if
they survive. If you continue to treat, you need to bring better bees
in, because the fact that you are treating shows that your bees still
need help big time.

The crux of the matter is the 90% (or less) knockdown. Anyone who has
taken a course of antibiotics knows you aren't supposed to stop until
the infection is cured. If you just knock down the pathogen for a
while, the remaining strains are liable to be the ones that the
treatment left alive, hence you are breeding for resistance in your
own disease!

Obviously, survival of the fittest is the best plan to get better
bees. But they have to survive. And if challenged by a syndrome that
is 90% lethal, you not only end up with not enough bees, you are also
probably going to try to split what you have left and restock
contaminated equipment, etc. never really getting out of the hole.

--
Peter L Borst
Danby, NY USA