Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 16:07:52 +0200
Adony Melathopoulos wrote:

>Being in spring pollination, I can see why you are concerned, as the disease is typically only a >problem where management necessitates moving colonies from pollen rich spring yards, into >stressful, pollen poor pollination yards.

Since approximately 1996, we have suffered severe outbreaks of very virulent EFB during pollination of pears and apples in spring. International enquiries proved that very little is known about this disease.

Based on the articles on "fat patties" in the bee press, we decided to give these a try. They are effective against TM, as Diana Sammatoro proved conclusively, but also apparently reduce EFB. They work! These patties are now part of our standard pre pollination preparation routine.

The mix is simple: one part pure vegetable fat (warmed to liquid for mixing) three parts sugar, and one part (discarded) jam (this binds the patty as it is high in pectin). This patty is firm and does not need any backing. It does not dribble down the combs (possibly harming the queen), but simply sits on top of the brood frames.

These patties are also an extremely useful identifier of HYG colonies. The slower the colony take the patty, the less HYG and the more likely that they will die out before the season is out.

Robert Post