From:
Kenna MacKenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 1992 09:55:25 EDT
Gamma-irradiation of AFB infected equipment is being used successfully in
Massachusetts.  While the bees are lost, all equipment (frames included) is
done.  The key to this treatment is being near an irradiation facility that
is willing to treat bee equipment.  I believe that hive bodies are placed in
plastic bags of some sort to prevent honey leakage.  But it definately works.

While it sounds like a great idea to come up with a portable irradiator, I'm
not sure how the regulatory people would like the idea of a 'hot' truck
travelling the country!

      Kenna MacKenzie
      Dept. Entomology, Comstock Hall
      Cornell University