From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:29:21 -0400
Garrett M Martin wrote:

> She informed me that this honey
> comes from the pine tree.  So my question is.  Is this true?

Yes, It is honeydew from aphids feeding on pines. I cannot testify about
the green color since I do occasionally get "green" honey but it is
supposed to be caused by purple loosestrife. It might be honeydew.

There are a couple of different pine honeydews, one of which is very bad
for bees in any season but both are bad for bees to overwinter on in
cold winters like we have in Maine. It ferments easily and contributes
to dysentery. I lost a hive because of it, so now I do not let my hives
over winter on fall honey, which is when the Pine honeydew comes in.

It is considered a very good honey in Germany. I can't testify to how
good it is since I am not sure which one it is of the many sources that
contribute to my dark and excellent tasting fall honey. It definitely
does not hurt it.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me