From:
Brian Tassey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 23:59:05 -0400
I'm running about 40-50% Pierco's in brood chamber and honey supers.  I've
found them to be durable (some are 15+ years old).  The problem with the
weight is that they are about 10-15% greater in cell space so the honey
storage is greater (wood frames take up alot of internal space).  Side by
side a plastic drawn out is lighter when empty than a similar sized wood.
 You better have ate your Wheaties when you pull plugged out deeps with all
plastics, they are very heavy.  We are very rough with our supers and shake
bees that don't leave following the acid pads.  The new version of the Pierco
has been improved greatly.  Woods don't hold up to the abuse like a plastic
does.  The strength of the ears is much improved.  My biggest complaint is
that like any plastic product that is vacuum molded it's precise.  The edges
and corners are sharp angles and when you work bees all day and handle
hundreds of these frames your hands are going to be blistered.  They are not
as forgiving as woods.  I wear light cloth gloves when I handle them it cuts
down a little on the roughness.  They are redesigning their molds with the
help of Dave Cowen (Uncapper mfg. etc.) and have said that the edges are
going to be rounded, the ears beveled up, and the bottoms beveled inward to
facilitate running them through high-speed uncappers.  Should be an
improvement.  You should just try some and see if it fits you and your
operation.  I've bought thousands of them and just recently another 8,000.  I
think it's a good product.  I also live 5 hours from the plant so the
economics might be better for me than yourself.  In the long run they are
more cost effective for me and that's the point of commercial beekeeping,
putting more in the bank than taking out.  Hope that helps some!

Brian Tassey