From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:11:15 -0500
Greetings all,
     I have been watching the debate on coumophos carefully on here lately.
It appears that it will soon be approved for use here in the state of
Missouri.  Like everywhere, a lot of beekeepers are ready to order as soon
as it is approved, and "hit them hard".  One thing that we have discussed in
our bee meetings, but I haven't seen here,  is rotation of the two chemicals
on a yearly basis. Use Apistan for a year or two, and then a year of
Coumophos, then switch back to Apistan, etc.  By using a system like this,
you would be reducing or eliminating resistant varroa mites.  What would be
better is the addition of another product or method to further reduce the
number of varroa mites in a hive.  Basically a "keep them guessing" type of
approach.
     In addition to chemical control, many beekeepers are using an 8 mesh
screen above the bottom board to reduce the number of mites.  In fact, our
state entomologist reported to the club that there was a 40-50 percent
reduction in mites using just the screen, with no chemicals at all.
Research this year will involve the screen and a drone frame to see what the
reduction will be. He has guessed that they may achieve an even more
significant reduction in mite numbers, maybe one the bees can tolerate.  The
important thing is that it uses no chemicals at all.
     As for the hive beetle, since there is the pupae stage in the ground,
could they be best approached outside the hive?  A ground drench would be
safer for the bees with no contamination inside the hive.  The key to any
pest control is to break the life cycle of the organism.  Here though,
instead of the chemical in the hive, the chemical is added to our
environment.  It is a trade off that must may have to be made to keep honey
the natural product that it is. Since the pupae inhabit such a small area
outside the hive, some form of mechanical prevention may even work.  Just
some more food for thought.

Scott Moser

" I believe that beekeeping mirrors life.  One must endure a few stings to
reach the final sweet reward."  S. Moser