From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2023 10:05:59 -0700
>  Any idea why it would be showing up in those locations?

New beekeepers often don't recognize it, may purchase contaminated nucs or
combs, and allow infected colonies to get robbed out.
A few years ago I was asked to give a field day at one urban club
president's yard.  Not a single beekeeper was able to recognize a
fully-infected AFB comb when (to my surprise) I pulled one out of a hive.
By the end of the class, I congratulated them for learning how to pick out
the several infected hives in the apiary by the odor at the entrance.
When I asked them how many had apiaries within flight range, most raised
their hands.

>There's a story there, but we undoubtedly will never know it.
There's sooo much unpublished data out there, carefully gathered at the
taxpayer's expense.
USDA or university data just gets tossed when a researcher moves to a new
position.
So sad...

I often ask researchers for such forgotten hard data.
I've recently been approached by two different retired researchers, who
late in their lives, realized that they had valuable experimental results
to be published.
In addition, I recently obtained permission from a third to write up the
results of their overlooked doctoral dissertation (from many years ago),
which I feel has great value to the bee industry.

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
530 277 4450
ScientificBeekeeping.com