Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:21:07 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Hi Bob, Dave and all,
Thanks for your responses - interesting but not surprising!

So, basic question is:
Why is this situation of low resistant bees allowed to continue - esp. as it causes so much economic damage in colony and
harvest loss + the great potential that in the years to come a resistance will appear making the problem even more chronic
(and acute for a time) than it is at the present.

Italian bees are known for their weakness to this pest - historical problem.
Italian bees are renowned for there ability to harvest  - as you say, in the right conditions better than most other types of

bee.
But, surely it would not be beyond the realms of capability for some institution (other than Buckfast inc.!) to find the
trait and stabilize it into a good Italian line. If not in the states then in Canada, Europe.or else where.

I realise that work has been done in Canada - Ontario regarding this problem and things have advanced. I believe that it has
been on the lines of "natural selection" rather than crossing in a trait.

Would be pleasing if somebody involved in the Ontario project gives their thoughts!

Has it ever been calculated how much this pest costs the industry directly and indirectly? I feel that it is a situation that

has been accepted as a "fact of life" - one that will continue to be a problem rather than grasping the nettle and trying to
deal with it.

These comments may be way out from reality - if so, then enlighten me please.

Regards
Peter

ATOM RSS1 RSS2