From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 09:23:47 -0800
On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Vince Coppola wrote:

> Tom Elliott wrote:
>  Dave Black wrote:
> >Would anyone agree that this (surviving untreated) is not the criterion
> >for success. Surely we would want to monitor the mite population. How
> >could this be estimated without using a chemical knockdown and stopping
> >the trial ?
> >
> > I would agree that colonies surviving and remaining healthy is exactly the criterion for success.  In the process of developing such monitoring
> > representative colonies would be needed.  But, that is only for the purpose of study.  Beekeepers only want healthy colonies.
>

>         I think you're both right. It would be improper to use
> "surviving" as the only criteria in a breeding program for varroa
> resistance, but colonies that survive in an enviroment where many other
> colonies have died from varroa may be a good startig point for
> selection.

 Hi Vince and All,  I think your on the right track with one problem. The
Viruses are a wild card.That has to be delt with also.There is a strong
correlation between hive death and a virus.This area is being studied so
maybe we can get some numbers or % of bees which have a virus.When the
USDA did a check in the USA of 10 States All ten had viruses.. Varroa is a
vector for the virus. At what level and what virus do the bees have? In
the book Honey Bee Pathology by Ball and Bailey 2nd. edition it states how
fast a hive can die with with a virus. Of course not all viruses are the
same. But one bee infected with a virus has enough germ plasm to kill
1,000 hives.That is no little problem.As I see it, to screen for Varroa
resistance and colony motality , you have to address the problem of
another pathogen present in the hive.
 My own personal idea is, the better health you maintain your hives , the
less chance that the viruses have to kill your hives.Of course that is
using mans brain and knowing something about immune systems.I would bet
anything on the quality of the beekeeping will have a large effect on the
mortality of the hives.There is too big of a spred on the death of hives
do to Varroa. Stress speeds up the death of a hive. I found that out the
hard way.The hives that I moved died in 30 days (50 hives) and the ones
that I left on the mountain (30 hives) had some Varroa but were in good
shape for the winter and made it thru OK.They did not have a resistance to
Varroa. I agree with finding stock that shows a resistance to Varroa. I
think that is the only real fix.We have to way out some variables and do a
very controled selection. I know a beekeeper that has 240 hives and has
never used apistan but has used grease pattys. He has checked for Varroa
with either rolls and no mites.His hives are not moved and there is mint
in the area he has his bees.
 We do have a problem that can be solved over time with good research.It
will take beekeepers all over to help get to the solution.Natural
resistance is the answer.
 Best Regards
Roy