From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2017 16:28:26 -0300
On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Bill T <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have never run into this question with my splits as they never had queen
> cells.
>
> The question is directed at a colony that has swarms cells and is split
> just before the swarm. Will the bees swarm or will they, being queenless
> because of the split, not swarm?
>
> What are the dynamics?

Please describe "frame based", How many frames with bees? with brood? the
rest? How many frames have queen/swarm cells? Where do you intend to leave
those frames with cells? In the Nuc? The colony? both? Do you want to keep
the "old" queen?

Under suposition you want to keep the "old Queen" and that it is that queen
that is going to swarm? I would procede as follow:

1.- Take all frames with brood out, shaking the bees inside The colony.
2.- put frames with reserves (>4x ideal) in middle of The brood box that
holds The colony. Bees should gather to/around them.
3.- Define based on timing (40 days before next objetive) and size of
colony, how many nucs do you or can you do.
4.- go frame with brood, by frame with brood (without bees) inspecting for
queen cell. Find the ones open with the younger larva. 5.- Leave at least
two queen cells per Box to be made / filled with bees. It is valid and
preferably one frame with two queen cells. Destroy all queen cells that do
not match the objective. (at this and following steps there are many
ramifications, for example: harvest capped queen cells ... kill/cage old
queen ... etc).
6.- Divide frames with reserves+adult-bees between "the Boxes to be fille:
The colony and the Nucs (size of Nuc is dependant on your objetive, 4x is
my prefered).

Still now you do not know where is the Old Queen (well yeah you probably
spoted her and placed a press in cage not to worry further). As I decided
to keep it in present exercise I won't search for her, therefore will need
to leave queen cell on all boxes to be filled with adult bees. I prefer to
search for her, be sure to leave her at The colony position with the frames
with young larvae, and fill with old bees plus the ones that cames with the
frames with reserves. I tend to prefer to leave the Nucs in front of the
donor or splited hive, so as to better share old bees.

Will the old queen still swarm? Most probably not, IF you have destroyed
all "old" queen cells. Manipulation plus a very young larvae in the open
cell give enough time for the colony to decide if they still want to swarm,
or prefer to kill the cells (most probably and easy), or kill the queen
(with this managment we avoid to have to decide if the cell where made for
swarming or superceding)