From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:10:05 -0800
Allen,
Actually, I was thinking of your situation, but rather than thinking the heat
would prevent nosema, that the hot summers might cook the equipment enough to
make it safe.

Reply:
Cannot have heat preventing nosema and perhaps other, and not at same time cooking equip to make it safe, especially with other commercial around me still having problems and drenching, except other drenching over near Kings/Millers ranches not feeding the artificial stuff on top of doing that at same time...........so you figure!!! But question that comes to mind is: If drenching while feeding does it negate food so to speak to what detriment levels???? Especially, if my bees with turn around here from no main flow prior now seen spitting out needed so-called pollen/honey or was it look-a-like artificial feed???? If you can see where my mind going and why I ran for the fresh stuff in another county... to do stimulative feeding......

continuing:
There was some mention of CCD and I am still waiting for more details about
whether it had been independently confirmed and how soon after the occurrence
the equipment had been successfully reused.  I wondered if your summer
temperatures might have had an influence.

Reply:
Well, Dr Loper and secretary took the samples almost immediately following calling and I seldom call for help for ID stuff and backup to what I am seeing. and Samples sent to Dr Bromenshenk and he one saying nosema.......but I had already started taking equipment up going into fall/winter late divides which I normally continue on thru spring. So Starting end Oct until beginning Apr you have to be done..........But stacked 5 deep in same yards where possible and where I couldn't I took elsewhere, and where I thought it would hold until April (moths for all this takeup by the way as not wanting) I let it sit, finishing up then. So 6-7 months longest for take up and about half that done in half that time.So no hot months following the crash, all equip taken up prior to as closer you get to moth season you have trouble.....so to speak.......

Continuing:
I also wonder what happened to your neighbouring bees which are suspected of
bringing in the new disease.

reply:
Word is they still having problems for nearest, and the other in other valley on ranches that only drenched considered year over this past Aug 2008 and needed to do splits badly to take up equip to hold it.....or lose it. As for me I still bedding down. and by the way with you saying 60 hives to a commercial yard for one barrel of honey is not good.....I agree, but yards with 40 averaged 2 barrels (other ranches) with smaller in 20s/30s less, and yards here (7) averaged 1 barrel with smallest 3 being about 17hives now each and others more like in mid 20s to 30s now. But all yards of the 7 produced at least a barrel to help me break even on my gasoline and labor, equip, etc. for working them back. But still if I now going into winter with 2-3 bottom deeps with brood/pollen/honey and I cannot lift them even on one side to heft, then they okay for me vs previous years where feeding 2-3-4 frames robinhooding to carry them and praying hard! So depending
 upon how winter/spring goes could be a turn around year as they now have food storage for gut to crank for coming year. But still I gotta get ready and finish year's work being just me doing it all too!
---
continuing:
> Apparently, yes.  It is a time/temperature curve.  120F does in it a few
hours.  This is well below comb melting temp.  I've been imploring an
associate to work out the curve.

Reply:
But equipment didn't go thru a heat spell following..only overwintering/spring and all taken up early April so I could roll and I did...............We don't get 120F until Jul normally by the way............Even daily temps normally about 70sF perhaps 80F is lucky...but like I said you don't want untaken up equipment then due to moths or you in big trouble!!!! for stacks not on bees get hotter due to heat transfer thru wood on sides of boxes......and you and most all here should know that..........

continuing:
That will be interesting.  120 is not that hot, and actually is very likely in
boxes stacked in the sun when empty of bees.

Reply:
Yep but that is this equipment you talking about....now let's talk another for you to think of...For all over Arizona in hills with me besides many beekeepers is dead equipment dating back in many cases to the late 1980s............yet if a problem should have shown sooner I would think......but still a source for free equipment for helping ranches to clean up from other beekeepers now out of business and vanished.................and since I have been called by state in past to help clean up such, and know of others in other states so doing for free equipment for reconditioning like good deeps/mediums, etc for we cheap down here.....then you say boxes stacked in the sun when empty of bees..............like how long? but then have never seen a problem and do know of many big ones with big bone yards stacked waiting for you know what.................

Dee