From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:20:03 -0500
On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Joel W. Govostes wrote:

> I do know some folks here in NY who use just 9 frames in
> single-brood-chamber colonies.  In fact, when they do the math, they come
> up with a good queen only needing *7* deep combs for laying, if they are of
> good quality.  By the time she uses up the space, bees are emerging and
> empty cells are available again.  So they don't worry about lack of comb
> space, and their honey crops certainly don't seem any worse for it. --jwg

Hi Joel
        Thanks. That explains it then:  there is a physical limitation on
how many frames are needed due to the maximum number of eggs the queen
lays per day, and the time it takes for the brood to hatch.  But this
raises other questions.  Like, what if you have a not-so-productive queen?
Either re-queen or you dont get as many bees.  I still think that I will
use the ten frames.  That's how the hives are designed and you DO get the
extra space at the sides if you make sure the frames are pushed together,
at least the usual "hoffman" type are.  This way you get ample space for
brood rearing.  IMHO :)

Cheers,
Ian

                     @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@