Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:15:08 GMT
>>I have followed Tom's work very closely. After raising queens from
those wild hives, he concluded that their survival was NOT due to
genetics.

I am not stuck on superior genetics although each colony has its own,
unique characteristics/traits.  Just like with feral cats, feral bees
are just that - on their own for one or more generations.  To me, the
most significant point is NOT how the feral bees survive in the wild
but the fact that they DO survive in my neck of the woods.  This is a
starting point.

I keep my bees in Langstroth hives with plastic frames.  The colonies
derived from feral mothers have survived with mites longer that the
purchased stock from Georgia, Florida, or California.  Their ability
to overwinter better - did not lose one colony last winter and none
so far this winter - is nice.  [But I do use OA once in the winter.]
Last season I got 120lb+ per colony bet. the spring flow (poor) and
the fall flow (very nice).  That's significant to me, too.

One more thing I'd like to try - this year if I get to making the set-
up - is to let the bees build their own comb in Langstroth
equipment.  The feral comb, with one exception, from the brood nest
area has averaged 5,0 mm.  That's about 0,1 mm less than my Pierco
frames.

I am not out to make converts out of sceptics.  I merely report my
observations so that anyone interested can try working with local
bees themselves.  Having an open mind is a delightful thing.

>>Another idea (mine) is: the colonies are widely spaced and high in
trees may be very important.

The colony spacing in managed apiaries is closer but I am not sure it
affects mite survival.  [The typically larger managed colony size is
probably a bigger factor in a mite number explosion.]  The closer
spacing will affect foraging opportunities.

As with regard to colony height, I removed one colony at ground level
in a decaying tree on the north coast of Long Island 2 years ago.
The homeowner reported seeing this colony swarm the previous 3 years
and was getting tired of the spectacle.  I think good nest
thermodynamics make winter survival better and doubt the height
affects the mites.

>>Anyway, there is no difference from a wild hive and a hive that
sits in somebody's back yard for 5 years without being inspected. And
if you think those hives are immune, I would disagree.  Besides, we
are talking about better beekeeping here.

I never said they were 100% immune.  I only said that they survive
better than the stock I had previously purchased.  My beekeeping has
not changed except that I am rasing my own queens and better raised
queens do not equate to better mite resistance (as far as I know).

>>Plus, I think the whole feral bee thing is a "mystique".

There is nothing mystique - perhaps one can find collecting
them "romantic" - about feral bees.  Nature ruthlessly culls any ill-
adopted stock.  When a homeowner calls me to remove a nuisance honey
bee colony, I believe I get to see & collect colonies that make it
well through the gauntlet of nature's rigors.

>>As far as us not having to worry about African genes in those wild
swarms, don't bet on that one!

You are right.  They will likely be introduced in my area.  Not sure
if they will survive the winters in my area though.  I am hoping
not.  And Africanized traits are not consistent - some in Africa and
South America claim their bees are rather gentle although this does
not seem to be the case in Mexico from what I've read.

I perform feral removals without a veil after smoking and verifying
the disposition of a colony.  I do bring a veil just in case I
eventually come across a nasty/Africanized colony.

Waldemar