From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:27:47 -0400
> The correct address for questions about using
> Bee-Quick is [log in to unmask]
>
> This is [log in to unmask]  :)

Aw, c'mon Jim, I thought Mike's question was legit and was looking forward
to the response.  BEE-L is PRECISELY the place for that sort of discussion.
Having never used bee repellants of any kind I was looking forward to a
lesson, not a redirection.  I'm glad Mike is a seasoned poster and won't be
driven away by a sniping response.

I've stated I'm a proponent of Canadian/Triangular escape boards, but I must
admit that there are times the bees don't exit supers via escape boards for
no apparent reason (I know are the usual suspects: brood in the supers, poor
weather, etc.), but there are times, albeit rare, when the conditions are
PERFECT for escape boards, but they just don't work and  I can only
attribute it to "quirky bees in that hive."

So I was looking forward to a discussion about bee repellants in general,
and Bee Quick specifically.  I was disappointed to have the query chastised
and redirected.  Generally I avoid Bee Go due to the smell.  Heck, the bees
go right along with anything with a sense of smell!  If I won't have it near
me, I won't put it in my hives.  At least the first part of that equation is
not a concern with Bee Quick, I don't object to an open bottle.  I still
haven't used it in my hives.  I kind of liked the smell of benzaldehyde, and
may have considered its use, but EPA has removed that option.

Anyway, I would benefit from a discussion of bee repellants to clear honey
supers.  Not just Bee Quick specifically, pros and cons of all on the market
would help.  How do they work?  I always assumed it was merely the offensive
smell that drove bees away, but now I wonder if there is oxygen deprivation
at play, or is that just in some brands?  And I'm very interested in Bob's
experiments with Bee Quick and Sucracide.  Can you tell us more Bob?  In my
ignorance I am not sure if the manufactures of Bee Go and Honey Robber
participate on BEE-L.  If not, perhaps someone may know them and solicit
their input.  I am truly ignorant of all the fume board options, never went
there, never cared to.  I know they can be far easier than my escape board
method, and my hive numbers have grown sufficiently that I may perhaps
reconsider my options.

Aaron Morris - thinking there may be a better way!