Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 11:21:20 GMT+0200
> From:    David Kesler <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Observation hive ... to cover or not to cover?

Hi All

To reply to David's post about an observation hive:

In the book, Honeybees and Wax, and Experimental Natural History, by
Proffessor HR Hepburn, who heads bee research at my University (also
Rhodes University) in South Africa, he mentions that bees are
disinclined to draw wax in open light and that they require dim too
dark conditions to satisfactorily prodce wax. Hence if you have drawn
frames it shold make little difference, buut undrawn frames may be a
problem? Also you ruun the risk of not being able to see bees hanging
in festoons making wax. This is really fun to watch in my opinion.

> Are there any recommendations to cover an observation hive (three frames high)
> when it is not being observed?

So, yes I would give them periods of reduced light?

> This hive is inside and lit from above with fluorescent lights.

Also:

Dave are you any connection to the Rhodes College that has an
exchange program with Rhodes University SA?

> David Kesler
> http://kesler.biology.rhodes.edu

Keep well

Garth

---
Garth Cambray       Kamdini Apiaries
15 Park Road        Apis melifera capensis
Grahamstown         800ml annual precipitation
6139
Eastern Cape
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

3rd year Biochemistry/Microbiology    Rhodes University
In general, generalisations are bad.
Interests: Flii's and Bees.