Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 07:36:37 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
This is what I have been waiting for.... What to feed how about the megabee are they ok

> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 00:13:09 -0600> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: [BEE-L] HFCS (was candy Boards> To: [log in to unmask]> > Hello Jerry & All,> First let me say that HFCS is crap and contains Mercury and two poisons> which by their self kill bees. The health food people see HFCS for what it> is. If I see a product contains HFCS I do not buy.> For breakfast I like Thomas Muffins which have this on the front of the> package:> Contains no HFCS!> Those which drink regular Pepsi & Coca cola are drinking carbonated HFCS> with a cola flavor! Yuk!> > That said let me share what myself and Bell Honey use for bee feed.> > We no longer use HFCS do to problems (other than HMF's ) and use 67.5 BRIX> sucrose. We are an hour and a half from the plant. We do not store sucrose> other than maybe for a week. Never let sit in the sun other than when in the> yard feeding.> > If sitting outside during the day I cover the totes on the truck with a> tarp to prevent the sun reaching the tote while sitting on the truck.> > When we pick up the sucrose the plant gives us the PH and temp. The last> load was 92 F. and a PH of 7.2.( you might have to ask for the readings)> > I pumped feed today and will pump the rest tomorrow so I do have a small> tank heater in the tote tonight but the temp is below freezing outside so> the temp in the tote most likely will only be maybe 60F. in the morning.> > We changed our ways after Dr. Eric Mussen gave a talk at the Missouri State> Beekeepers meeting about storing HFCS & sucrose. In our opinion ( after> using the method above instead of getting tanker loads and storing at the> bee farm) the extra fuel cost and time involved in going and picking the> syrup up is well worth the insurance we will not be feeding a sub par> product.> > The beeks with the best bees are paying attention to small details these> days in our opinion.> > I realize many are too far from a plant to do as we do but in many parts of> Texas, Florida and California the above is possible, We figure the feed we> need and pickup. we have picked up 8 275 gallon totes at a time.> > We like getting directly from the plant as most of the bee supply houses use> the metal tanks. We always used (even with HFCS) 1500 gallon plastic tanks> or 275 gallon totes.> > For hobby beeks my advice is to buy table sugar and only mix what you need> and only use the heat needed to get into solution.> > bob> > *******************************************************> * Search the BEE-L archives at: *> * http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l *> *******************************************************
* Search the BEE-L archives at:                       *
* http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2