From:
Lesli Sagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:48:22 -0400
I'm in the Finger lakes Region of NY State.

I don't have dragonflies around the bees this year, but in past years, I
would usually see a few hanging around the hives, even resting on the tops.
One difference is that I've moved this year, and my hives are, by necessity,
no longer in all-day full sun. Perhaps dragonflies don't like dappled shade.
Instead, I see them hanging around the pond and small stream behind the
house, where the pickings are no doubt rich.

Hornets are more abundant this year, the small yellow and black ones, and I
usually see three or more feasting on dead bees outside my hives, or being
escorted away by one of my girls. I'm intrigued by the blur of a hornet and
honeybee locked together, wings beating madly, spinning like a top.