Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2017 11:57:03 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
> This seems to be an unnecessarily complicated method.

Hi all
Over the years I have become convinced that simpler is better. Fact is, the standard ten frame hive is about as simple as it gets. Top bar hives, in my opinion, are more trouble than they are worth. It seems as if they wouldn't be, but I liken the difference between top bar hives and frame hives to the difference between a unicycle and a bicycle. The unicycle is a simpler design, but harder to use. 

My hives consist of standard bottom, top, inner cover and ten frame equipment. I keep nine frames in all of them for ease of use. I have a few queen excluders for various purposes, and a bunch of different types of feeders. Hive stands are mostly scraps of wood, pallets. I prefer them setting on the ground, but it ruins the bottom boards to leave them in contact with the damp ground, so I put a few boards under them.

Management: by far the easiest way to manage bees is to split them in the spring, and requeen everything you can afford to. This eliminates most problems by: creating a surplus of colonies, most with young queens. Hives with young queens are less liable to swarm, or fail. Having a surplus of colonies means that the inevitable failed colonies are taken in stride. It is a myth that splits or packages don't much make honey the first season.

PLB 

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2