From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:05:59 -0500
>  Howard Kogan-thinking if you inspect my hives, I'll give you lunch!
Unfortunately, the NYS Apiary Inspectors cannot accept lunch or anything for that matter, avoiding possible conflict of interests.  I always have a cooler with various libations from water to lemonade and iced tea, and perhaps a beer or two or few.  I offer freely, my inspector cannot accept.  He won't even let my buy coffee at a convenient store when we first start out in the morning.

I make a point to be available when my hives are inspected, for a number of reasons.  First, I know where my yards are and they're easier to find when I'm along.  Second, if anything is found I want to be there to see it first hand.  Third, my inspector is very knowledgable and can teach me things.  He knows a lot of the industry folks and a lot of the local beekeeping history and I'm happy to pick his brian.  Finally, although a self-proclaimed curmudgeon, I like the guy.  I enjoy the afternoon or two it takes to inspect my hives and I don't have to worry that he's going to suck down all my beers!  I'm also aware that he reads this list.

As far as selling/buying nucs, I firmly believe that if one sells nucs they must be confident that their hives are clean.  I sell nucs and am confident I do not sell problems.  However, I also dust with TM.  There is a possibility that I could be selling a problem that I don't know exists.  I tell my customers up front that they are buying frames from an operation where antibiotics are part of the practice and warn them of the potential if they choose to stop medicating.  I have never heard of a problem, and I follow through with queries to my customers at the end of the season.  I have offered my customer list to my apiary inspector, and am sure he knows I sell nucs.  I have nothing to hide.

Aaron Morris - I ask, I tell.