From:
Anne Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2018 22:56:25 -0400
Pete, you posted an extract from Radtke and Lichtenberg-Kraag in
JAR ("Long-term changes in naturally produced honey depending on
processing and temperature") stating that

> The homogenization of the honey
> from the beginning of crystallization to a creamy consistency
> and the storage of honey in a cold room were
> evaluated as optimal conditions. These honeys showed
> optimal organoleptic properties such as fine granulation
> and no crystallization defects. Honeys, which were produced
> under these conditions, can be stored for a minimum
> of 2 years and still meet the strict quality criteria
[...]
> Furthermore, it was shown that the storage
> at room temperatures had a more negative effect on
> honey quality than seasonally fluctuating temperatures.

First, what exactly were these optimal conditions?  Did the authors
give a temperature and humidity range?

Second, I vaguely recall having read that room temperature or
freezing were good for honey storage, but *not* refrigeration, so
I've mostly kept our honey in its jars in boxes in my living room.
(Never mind what that says about the current state of the living
room!)

I did at one point have a few very large mason jars of unripe
honey (which I had extracted separately) in the cold room, and
it had crystallized fairly quickly into coarse, gritty crystals,
with significant separation of liquid - but that material was never
expected to keep well, and I used it mostly for baking.  But that
experience reinforced the idea that cold room temperatures (about
10-15 C in the winter) were not good for honey storage.

At some point last winter for various reasons (possibly expecting
guests and trying to make the living room semi-presentable!) I moved
one of my boxes to the floor of the cold room, and sure enough the
honey crystallized, but in this case, it made the most wonderful,
soft, creamy texture!  I've love to be able to do that on purpose,
without fancy equipment.  I wonder if I hit the magical temperature
by accident.

With respect to creamed versus liquid honey, and whether it's
"obvious" that one or the other is "better": I would have thought that
the liquid form, having a greater percentage of the aromatic
substances in solution and therefore more available to the taste buds,
would have a more intense flavour.  I'll have to "A-B" them next time
I have a lucky crystallization accident...

Anne, backyard beekeeper, Montreal.
(The new queen is laying!  Long live the queen!)