Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 21:11:05 -0600
 > When this type of testing began to go to private labs in the  US,
Larry's
 > protocols got changed - mainly for cost  savings.

Thanks, Jerry.

That is an fascinating history.  There is no substitute for having been
there and having a glimpse inside the black box.

We often wonder how many corners get cut or protocols changed for sake
of cost or convenience, and there is nothing to reinforce our wonder
like a report from the front line.

I imagine you might have something to say about the use/abuse of stats
to justify questionable methods, but, come to think about it maybe you
just did.

I'm happy to hear that it is not just an occasional layman who worries
about the integrity of the methods underlying high-profile studies and
the measurements that determine what we eat/drink/wear tomorrow.

Again, thanks -- and I hope that your student finds N2O and the question
of memory rebound interesting enough to follow up.