From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:48:21 +0100
That link wasn't mine (I think was brian's) but I happen to be in the same
path. Here is the link to the same type of study and Nosema. I haven't
arrive to a proper paper yet, but the dogs are behind the trail !!!

http://www.reeis.usda.gov/web/crisprojectpages/212044.html
PARTICIPANTS: Zachary Huang, P.I. Yulun Fu, graduate student Kiheung Ahn,
visiting scientist Xianbing Xie, visiting scientist Paitoon Seanbualuang,
visiting scientist Gorden Wardell, collaborator, SAFE LLC, AZ Joseph Riddle,
undergraduate assistant

USE OF ESSENTIAL OIL FOR NOSEMA CONTROL: We tested three types (thymol,
origanum and clove oil, either neat, or in starch encapsulated form). Bees
infected with nosema lived significantly shorter than those not infected
with nosema, however, treating with essential oils did not improve survival
in the host honey bees. The used essential oils did not affect the mortality
of bees which were not fed with nosema, or their food consumption. Some
essential oils such as thymol, starch-encapsulated origanum oil, and neat
origanum oil showed a negative impact on the nosema infected bees.
Survivorship of infected bees treated with starch-encapsulated thymol in
sugar syrup (26%+-4) and starch-encapsulated origanum oil in pollen patty
(38%+-4) were higher compared to the control group (19%+-3) but these
differences were not significant.

EFFECT OF NOSEMA AND FOOD TYPE ON HONEY BEE LONGEVITY: We repeated for
another season whether high fructose corn syrup can lower honey bees immune
system, making them more susceptible to diseases and pests. We inoculated
workers with Nosema apis and fed them either beet sugar or high fructose
corn syrup. While nosema did not have a significant impact on worker
longevity, corn syrup did have a significant negative impact on worker
longevity.

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.