From:
Marcia Sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 09:52:06 -0700
I appreciate your help. Actually, the boxes have not been treated for
parasites this summer although the original nuc was before I bought it,  and
I painted my hive boxes last year with latex paint so as not to seal them
completely or produce fumes. I am not alone with swarm problems in Portland.
We've had lots of rain and thunder storms lately and in fact the swarm is
still in my fir tree getting soaked. Showers and thunderstorms are predicted
for the rest of the week. Maybe the weather this year has contributed to
swarming. As for room, I've had folks say give them plenty and others say
keep them congested. After three swarms, I'm leaning toward giving them
extra room.  I have a mixture of frames in the upper box, from partially
filled nectar and honey frames to new foundation.  I keep reading,
experimenting and asking beekeepers. I did this as an experiment, so I'll
learn from it. I'll take a look at your web page. Thanks.