From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2017 11:38:30 -0500
A former hobby beekeeper less than an hour from me is selling an Omlet Beehaus hive.  If you’ve never seen one, here are some images: https://www.google.com/search?q=omlet+beehaus&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlk62d05jYAhWJQt8KHS7gAzAQ_AUICygC&biw=1216&bih=680

It’s a plastic, insulated, double hive designed to run two colonies back-to-back.  They are not cheap, but he’s selling it for a very good price (gave up after losing bees year after year to varroa).  At 14 x 12 the brood frames are completely incompatible with the rest of my equipment.  But, I’m thinking about using it as a long hive.  When we were in Texas for Thanksgiving, Erin’s sister-in-law showed me her top bar hive that she built from scratch.  I like the idea of waist-high hive management, but don’t want to do pure top bar.  Was thinking about eventually building a long hive that fit regular deep frames.  But, I’ve also wondered, if the long, cold winters we have here in New Hampshire are just not conducive to horizontal bee movement.  This hive strikes me as a possible solution, since it is insulated and purported to be very snug.  Taking out the middle divider would make it a pretty big long hive.  It would sort of be a hobby/experiment within my hobby/experiment.  The hive for sale actually comes with eight supers, which is really nice, but here’s my question.

The supers use Manley frames.  I’ve looked them up, and they appear to be 17” x 5.5” deep (432 x 140mm).  They also appear to be relatively thick.  Has anyone out there used them in a radial extractor that takes standard Langstroth frames?  I have a one year-old Maxant 20 frame extractor.  Looks like they will be fine WRT depth of frame, but not sure a 17 inch frame will be supported in an extractor intended for a 19 inch frame.  Will take some measurements of my extractor, when I get home, but am on the road right now and figured I would ask this illustrious group.  The thickness of the frames might also be an issue.  Hard to find exact measurements, but Dave Cushman’s site lists them as 42mm thick, which is a lot wider than the more typical 22mm.  I’m fine with the brood frames being unique, but, if I can’t use the super frames in my extractor, then it’s a non-starter.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Even if someone just knows the exact length, width and thickness of the frames and length of the ears that would help me a lot.  And, of course, if anyone has any experience with the Omlet hive or thoughts about using an insulated long hive in northern New England, that would be very helpful, too.

Thanks,

Bill
Claremont, NH US (New England)