From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 22:01:57 +1000
Mary Caldwell wrote

>I have spoken with my local beekeeping association, and that's how I know
>about star thistle and eucalyptus, but I was wondering what I could put in
>my yard for my bees, since I wasn't sure how far the bees would go for
>nectar and pollen.

Mary, I count everything within a mile in any direction of my hives as
foraging territory.  Bees will fly further but it's a bit harder to build up
a honey surplus.  As a rule of thumb I believe an acre of blossom per hive
will yield a honey flow.  The bees will hunt down and select their
favourites. If there is an area with a concentration of one nectar source
the bees will concentrate on that.

Remember the bees know best - and they may well surprise you as they are
constantly surprising me.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island