Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 02:25:07 -0400
Good morning b.. listers, I normally sit back (lurk) listen and learn......but when we come to the Price Per lb I have to speak up. When I first started out having bees it was so I could have honey that I knew what was in it and where it came from. I sold out once, killed out once by the mites but I refuse to quit because I cant make any money. There is a Ice Cream Producer down in Brehnam Tex that has a wonderful slogan. "We eat all we can and sell the rest". Well this is me. No Im not 3' in Diameter. While down in Texas I also sold my honey as most for the $2.30 a lb rate. After I sold my honey I always wondered how I would buy the things I needed to stay in business....not to support me because I had a J.O.B....Thanks to several people on this list, George, Arron, .......Not to name Names, and my Partner here in Va. I will not leave the house to go sell honey for less than $5.50 a lb. and I raised it this year from $5.25. I go to my markets and there are people waiting to see me. I now have the label in one town as the Honey Man. At first this bothered me because I knew there was a Honey Man, but he had passed to the other side several years ago, but now I am becoming their Honey Man. In Texas when I would get the $2.30 a lb I felt like I was stealing from the customers because they could get it in Sams or HEB or where ever so much cheaper if on sale. I was worried about many things there.......BUNK......This Is NOT Bragging.....Please dont think of this as bragging.........I just Know and now realize I have a very good product that you cannot get in Sams or Walmart or from China and I will not try to Compete. Look in your mirror......Who are you? Are you only worth $2.30 a lb? I didnt think I was! But I know Im worth so much More. I sell my honey for $5.50/lb, Wax for $10.00/lb and now Pollen for Approx $1.05/oz......Please......You are providing something so wonderful to our society. The Customers will pay for it.......Educate them. Sell them more than just a jar of honey. Sell them your knowledge and confidence. I know Im not a beekeeper.:-( I am trying and I learn so much every year.  I will one day either make it thru trial and error lots of trial, more error or I will get to go take the required courses to be a beekeeper. In the mean time I can look in the mirror and feel good about who I am and the products I sell at markets.

Thanks for listening

Scott Mitchell
Sassy Springs Apiary
Gloucester, Va