From:
michael palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:18:25 -0500
    I am in the fourth year of a breeding program. I am already seeing
great results, but have a question. I have been getting my virgins mated
in the various yards I am running. I have the option of starting a new
yard in the mountains in an isolated area. Drone colonies would be
placed there, and my mating nucs would be brought in. I am selecting for
wintering ability, honey production, and resistance to chalkbrood.
    My question. Is this necessary, or even warranted? It means a 100
mile trip. Maybe worth it if the results are there. But, will I be
leaving genetic material behind? In the short run perhaps an isolated
yard would be best, but I have a feeling that if I saturate my area with
good stock, I would get good results. In the long run, would this not be
a better approach?

Mike