From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 08:54:46 -0500
> ... I expect to move on to a
> (medium) honey super ...
> I should continue feeding the hive at that point
> to get them to draw out the medium...

Not unless you want a honey super filled with cured sygar syrup.  When your
nucs have drawn two deepe, stop feeding and give them the honey super of
foundation if they need it (ie, if there's a flow on).  How does a newbie
know if/when there's a flow on?  Ask a local beekeeper.  Based on the draw
at the annual Ohio beekeepers meeting, I'm sure there is not a lack of local
beekeepers near you.  When you meet the local beekeeper, ask them about a
local beekeeping association, join and attend.  This last advice is a
chicken and egg thing.  You might seek out a local association, join and
attend, and meet MANY local beekeepers.

But back to your question, stop feeding when your bees have filled both
deeps.  Upstate New York nucs (assuming they are quality nucs) that are
continuously fed in most years will have drawn the second deep somewhere in
thr sweet clover flow (June/July) and may be wanting more space.  If this
sounds like fuzzy advice, well it is!  In April no one knows what the flows
will be like in June/July.  AND you won't actually want to wait until the
second deep is completely drawn, you want to stay ahead if your bees.
Remember, if you get behind in youe bees' schedule, BEES SWARM!  And if you
stay even with your bees' schedule, then your behind!  Have your medium
super of drawn foundation ready before your bees look like they need it,
What are you doing today?  Today would be a good day to get that super
ready.  Seriously.  When will they need it?  I don't know, maybe not until
next year!  If you're staying ahead of your bees and it's a good season,
probably June.  Possibly July.  Hopefully, but not out of the question they
won't need it this year.  Can I be more vague?  Certainly!  Bees vary.
Seasons vary.  Locations vary.  I don't keep bees in Ohio, what do I know
about bees in Ohio?

So quick answer to the question you asked: stop feeding before you add a
honey super.

Aaron Morris - thinking there are no quick answers!