From:
George Fergusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 08:47:47 -0500
queenbee wrote:
> Interesting there was a program on Australian television last night
> which quoted a study that showed that, nutritionally, there was no
> difference between organic and non organic food tested.  I believe it
> would be the same for honey.

I for one have never been under the illusion that organically produced
food was necessarily more nutritious though I'm sure many people believe
that to be true. I can say from experience however that in side-by-side
taste tests, organically grown tomatoes may not be more nutritious, but
they do actually taste better than their chemically produced
counterparts. I also know from side-by-side taste tests that pure,
clean, unheated, unfiltered, unadulterated honey, free from chemical
residues and antibiotics, just tastes better and smells better than the
over-heated, over-filtered blended sweet-goo you'll find on supermarket
shelves.

I prefer organically produced food because by purchasing it, I am saying
yes to smaller scale, sane, sustainable farming practices and a
traditional lifestyle in the only way that really counts- with my
dollars. I buy Fair Trade shade-grown coffee beans because I know that
by doing so I'm supporting a small scale, hard working bean farmer in
some impoverished under-developed country and helping them maintain a
traditional way of life in the only way that really counts- with my dollars.

So for me it's not so much about nutrition. It's more about chemical
pollutants- I don't want them in my food and I don't want them in the
environment where my food is grown and I make that statement in the only
way that really matters: with my dollars.

. . o O ( Hivastan... aren't there US troops deployed over there? )

George-
George Fergusson
Whitefield Maine