From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2011 19:13:24 -0400
Hello,

I am seeking the text of the article which
makes the first mention of wax moth in the
USA.

The article appeared in Boston Patriot
in January of 1806, -some have stated
the article may have appeared earlier, in
December of 1805

In the article, it is said to give a description
of the moth, and also states that the
moth has been noticed by beekeepers
in the general vicinity of the sea board near
Boston, for about 2 years.

This would be very important information
if it is true, because it would set the date
for the introduction of waxmoth 2 years
earlier than the current estimate of 1806.

By 1808, four fifths of the apiaries in that
vicinity had been destroyed by the moth.

This article would be a great addition to my
collection of articles related to this great
enemy of bees, so aptly described by
Virgil as 'aut dirum genus tineae'

There is an old saying from 1844:
"In America, the honeybee led civilization,
and the bee moth follow civilization"

Please respond to

Best Wishes
Joe Waggle