From:
ADC Administor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 1994 08:54:35 +1000
To: [log in to unmask] (Bees Mail)
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 08:54:35 +1000 (EST)
From: "Steven Andrews" <[log in to unmask]>

Hi everyone,

Would someone share their thoughts with me about the following.

Yesterday my KIND neighbour informed me that there were 2 swarms on
her tree.  They were big swarms at that.  Having 4 hives of my own,
I guess they originated from my hives.   The larger of the two was on
the tree for five days and the other 2 days.  After carefully putting
them in seperate bee boxes, and waited until night fall, I moved them
back into my yard 5 feet away from the other hives.

The next day I watched them busilly working, as if they were still
on that tree. (ie. they did not go back to the tree.) I would've thought
that 2, or atleast 5 days were suficient for them to imprint their
hives' locality.

Does this mean that they did not orientate themselves properly on the
tree? or they found their new home more confortable/suitable? or
something else perhaps.

Any comments are appreciated.

Best Regards,
Steven.

PS:  The reason why she did not inform me of the swarms previously, is
     because where she comes from, Vietnam, they believe that when a
     swarm comes onto their property it's a sign of good luck. :-))

--
Steven Andrews
Configuration Manager / Software Engineer