From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:57:17 -0500
Peter said:
PS. I did a little research on sampling size and it is really an argument
you don't want to go into unprepared.

Samples are taken to find problems correct?

Bottom line:
If the beekeeper wishes to treat only the hives with problems then he/she
needs to monitor ALL hives.

A method never recommended by the USDA_ARS to commercial beeks.

Once you move away from checking each hive for all disease at regular
intervals then you move into sampling a few which has a margin of error.
With 2 and a half million hives spread over a country 3000 miles wide a big
margin of error.

The commercial beek following the methods taught us by researchers is
simple. You test and if you feel treatment is needed you treat ALL hives in
the yard.  I realize internet lists are mostly hobby beeks and the scope of
commercial beekeeping is hard to grasp but I can say that I completely agree
with Jim on his post that not treating for today's problems would soon put
me
out of the bee business or make beekeeping unprofitable. I need healthy bees
to survive.

Sampling as done by the CCD team has a margin of error. agreed?

bob