From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2011 16:23:25 EST

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7902271/Farming%20Today.mp3

Chris, any  comment?

I've just got back from the BBKA Annual Delegates' Meeting at which I
represent Dorset and is the BBKA's policy making body. There were 2 similar
motions, the more succinct being (after an amendment) "That the BBKA cease any
commercial relationships with agrochemical or associated companies relating
to  the use of the BBKA logo for the endorsement of pesticides (for money
or for any  other form of remuneration) as soon as contractually possible."
Martin Smith  pointed out that this was already BKA policy. The motion was
put to a 'card  vote' and carried with 16,777 votes in favour, 1949 against
with 352  abstentions.

The point is that some of these companies produce products used by
beekeepers, eg Bayer has just bought the Exomite  rights. It is  conceivable, for
example, that they might wish to take a trade stand at the  BBKA's convention
to promote this product (which has been around for some years  with a low
profile) and the BBKA would wish to be able to take their money for  the
stand and this would be permissible wit the motion now passed as  amended.

I did point out at the meeting that the most recent BBKA News (bearing
their logo) contains advertisements from no fewer than 5 companies selling
synthetic pyrethroids. I was told that this would be unaffected by the  motion.

Chris