From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:50:08 -0500
The unfortunate truth about nature, is that it is not sustainable and
never has been. Plants and animals became extinct long before mankind
was present.

We only look at our short term period and extrapolate it backwards and
forward as if it always was so.

 From a long term view, beekeeping is in a minor shift while nature and
we accommodate to the change. It is not the end of the world of
beekeeping but only another of the many transitions beekeeping has taken
over the ages.

If we went by today's definition of sustainability, we would all be
beelining and getting honey from trees- until someone wrote a book
declaring that technique was not sustainable.

But today's definition is only an invention to cover the organic
movement. Sounds good but does not stand up well to inquiry.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine