From:
Garry Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:43:05 EST
Hello all
  I wintered 5 hives of Russians, they where started as packages last spring
on drawn comb in a single deep. We had a somewhat poor year last year for
nectar flow I fed them thru late summer early fall, they finished out a
double deep chamber and went into winter with a full top story and a large
cluster. As of late March, 4 are alive and building up 1 was found dead the
result of what I suspect was a lost queen (no sign of brood very few bees) 1
of the 4 live hives is a real buster.
  I also wintered 5 Italians and 6 Carnolians, Lost 2 Italians and 1
Carnolian these appear to be starve outs, We have had the worst winter here
in years for sustained cold periods and good weather still hasn't arrived,
but feeding 1:1 is getting things started, pollen is being brought in on the
few flying days the ladies have had.

Looking for spring in SE PA.
Garry Frey