From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 09:02:07 -0700
"David L. Green" wrote:

> In a message dated 8/7/01 10:10:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> << Such a hostile and adversarial approach will do nothing to prevent the
> negative
>  impact of spraying, and will only harm the perception of beekeepers
>  as "reasonable and responsible steward of the environment".  There is no
>  reason to demonize those involved.>>
>
>    Thanks, Jim.  I am sorry I phrased this in such cynical terms. I have seen
> some demons, (so there is no reason to demonize them), but I also have seen
> some decent folks. (Sigh!) I may need to step back from this for a bit.
>
> << These people need HELP, not confrontation.  >>
>

>     There are actually two different matters here. One is the ecological
> damage, and this will occur whether or not the label is obeyed. The other is
> the damage to beekeepers by label violations.
>
>   Hi David and Jim

   I understand both points and they are well taken.
 The overall solution will take REAL public education on how nature is in balance
or how it will get there no matter what we do to mess things up.
 Dealing with people is a difficult task. Confrontation causes problems and needs
to be done only to state a different point of view. Positive attitudes will bring
positive results. It is very difficult to be positive when we know and understand
the negative results of what will be taking place on the East coast of the US. We
wont stop it , but we should educate as many people as possible as to how nature
works and what pesticides are doing to the Earth. (Our Home)
  I sell honey at 5 farmers markets a week. I come in contact with thousands of
people each week. I just spent 3 days at the Island Earth Fair on Vashon Island
here in Washington State, talking about pesticides and nature I have the EPA's
data on how much pesticides are used every year on the US and the Earth. Its not
much to do on my part. But it does get the word out to the people. Every little
bit helps.
 Its very good to have emotion about something that you love. We have to get it
out. We also need to make progress when we have the media to contend with at the
same time. We can only point out to people the truth. Finding the right people
that will be doing the spraying and educate them is the only thing that will work
in this situation. It takes work and beekeepers are up to there arm pits in work
this time of year. I am. Pulling honey today. Somebody will step up to the plate
and make a difference. Jim, brought out a good point. Contact someone in the
National guard. Stay away from the media.
 Best Regards
Roy Nettlebeck
Tahuya River Apiaries
Tahuya Wa. US