From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2013 08:35:09 -0800
Hi All,

A member asked me off list for the results of my treatment of 1000 hives
with two MAQS this summer in mid to late August, temps in the 90's, low
humidity.

First, re adverse effects on queens, we noticed about one colony queenless
per yard of 24-30 hives, most often in hives that we had already marked as
having some sort of "issue."  My interpretation is that the full MAQS
treatment knocks out iffy queens (the same interpretation as that of David
Vanderdussen).  A number of those colonies successfully requeened
themselves.

As far as efficacy, I did not sample completely nor methodically, so these
data are only informational, not conclusive by any means.  Nor did I make
any effort to sample the same hives over time.

Random (arbitrary) mite counts  (alcohol wash of ~320 bees) from various
yards approx 6 weeks after treatment were
0,3,3,22,0,4,29,0,1,0,3,0,28
Some other local beekeepers noticed the same trend--good knockdown in the
majority of hives, but lack of efficacy in some.

Because of the scattered unacceptably high counts, we followed with a 25g
dose of Apiguard in the broodnest after the above sampling. Results in
October (a week or two after thymol treatment) were:
3,1,1,1,1,1,3,2,0,2,0,1

I feel that the lack of efficacy with the double MAQS in some of the hives
was due to their being 3-4 deeps high (hadn't pulled honey), and us
possibly not placing the strips immediately above the brood.  In previous
trials, I got more consistent efficacy when all colonies were doubles
only.

Overall, we found that a one-two punch of MAQS (formic) followed by
Apiguard (thymol) got mites to acceptable levels.  We will follow up this
month with a final oxalic dribble.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA