From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:29:23 -0400
Bob writes:
> I really do not care what other researchers have said and are saying. I have read much of the *other* published hypothesis but Higes ( Spain) in my opinion has the correct hypothesis.

I sincerely hope that others are not taking this approach. What we are saying is to keep an open mind and not rush to join one camp or another. Scientists are very quick to drop ideas that don't pan out. It may turn out that the situation in Spain is very different from elsewhere, for various reasons.

> Evidence from Europe of naturally infected hives is compelling. Three recent publications on Spanish honey bee colonies suggest that N. ceranae causes colony collapse within 18 months of a colony becoming infected (Martín-Hernandéz et al., 2007; Higes et al., 2008, 2009b).

* Here he describes what is seen in Spain and how alarming and convincing it was.

> If N. ceranae is so virulent as to kill colonies in 18 months then it is surprising that greater colony losses have not been reported from across Europe, given that N. ceranae has been in the continent since at least 1998.

* Here he counters with what we should have seen if N. ceranae was as bad as they say.

> Spanish A. mellifera may be more susceptible to N. ceranae than other honey bee races, or the variant of N. ceranae within Spain may be more virulent than that found elsewhere, suggestions which deserve attention. Experimental infection of colonies is also necessary to show causation between N. ceranae and colony collapse; such experiments are currently lacking.

* Here he offers several explanations of what the difference might be. Others have suggested a climate factor.

> Nosema ceranae is clearly a novel, emergent pathogen of A. mellifera with potentially very serious effects on the individual and colony. Whether it causes CCD, alone or in combination with other synergistic factors such as habitat loss and lack of floral resources, is still an open question.

* Here he concludes that N. ceranae is definitely something to worry about, but no conclusions can be made at this time as to whether it is a cause or a symptom. It could be that these pathogens being found in sick hives are opportunistic infections of immune compromised bees. They could be compromised by pesticides, other diseases, or something we haven't yet identified.

Bob, a while back you were pretty sure imidacloprid was the cause of all our problems. You seem pretty sure that nosema is a serious culprit as well. Have you tried treating *half a yard* with fumagillin? Have you tried running bees in yards away from all sources of pesticides for a couple of years? Have you tried keeping a few stationary yards (non-migratory yards)?

These are simple things that any beekeeper could do without a grant. If you do, though, you gotta keep good records.

plb

Robert J. Paxton. 2010. Does infection by Nosema ceranae cause Colony Collapse Disorder in honey bees (Apis mellifera)?