From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 09:35:53 -0400
Our experience here in Australia is that the Acacias, which have the common
name of wattle, only produce pollen and no appreciable amounts of nectar.  The
protein value of some of the Acacias is quite good being as high as 30% crude
protein.

I have not worked areas where Acacia longifolia grows in large numbers so am
not familar with its traits.  I have seen it but only in small numbers.  At
present I have bees in areas where some Acacias, namely A. fimbriata and A.
leiocalyx are flowering.  They are producing pollen and the bees are coming
out of winter quite well.

When the Acacias flower, if the air is not very moist, the bees tend not to
collect the pollen as it is too dry.

Also, the propolis from the Acacias is usually quite distinctive and can be
easily recognized.  Acacias tend to "bleed" if damaged in any way and are
susceptible to borer attack.  Acacias, with a couple of exceptions, only live
for a maximum of 10 years.   They are regarded as "pioneer" species.

Hope this helps.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA