From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:33:50 -0500
Hello All,

Pav wrote:
> The root of the 4.9 controversy is exactly that science has NOT been
looking.  The  Lusby's went public out of frustration that no scientists
would take seriously the word of  mere beekeepers who claimed they were
beating varroa.

Although I believe the small cell theory needs looked at further I do not
believe it is fair to say the theory has NOT been looked at or are talked
about by researchers.
Quote from Dadants own publication "Mites of the Honey Bee" page 200:
"The smaller cell size of the AHB , along with the fact these bees have
fewer mites within the same setting, has led to the idea that *possibly* a
small cell would limit mite reproduction."
Bob wrote:
The above is the main reason why researchers around the world first looked
at small cell. Varroa DOES reproduce in AHB small cells and in amounts to
KILL brood nests but the constant swarming and abscounding limit varroa in
my opinion.
The next sentance after the above from "Mites of the Honey Bee" by Dadant:
"Just the opposite seems to be true. Larger cells have fewer mites."
The source of the information is from a study done in 1993 by Ramon and Van
Laere named " Size of comb cell and Reproduction of Varroa Jacobsoni"
 quote above study found:
"There seems to ba a correlation between the height of the cell and the
number of mites witin those cells; the cells with the greater distance
between the larva and the RIM having fewer varroa mites."
Bob wrote:
The above is the reason why many researchers have pointed out flaws to me in
private discussion of the small cell theory. Why has not Dee pointed out the
above findings in ANY of her comments and articles? Because the statement
does not further her position but weakens it. Actual research found the
height of the cell produced fewer varroa while the width did not( Ramon &
Van Laere 1993).
One last quote from the book:
"Studies of cell size and modifications of the shape of the cell have been
EXAMINED as much as ANY method for the control of varroa mites"(pg 200)
Small cell HAS been looked at. Maybe the Lusbys work has not been looked at
but small cell certainly has. We do not know why the Lusbys are being
successful and maybe researchers should take a look . Again what works for
her may not work for others. Time will as Pav says will tell the answer.
Until new proof  comes forward I for one am tired of the hype.
I highly recommend the book as I have said before. Twenty seven authors
wrote for the book. The book is available from most U.S. bee supply house.
My own beekeeping knowledge level is not on the level of many of those
authors. Researchers I have talked to simply do not believe small cell alone
(width) is the answer.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
Ps. For my friends in the U.K. and Ireland on pages 242 & 243 are maps
showing the spread of fluvalinate resistant mites.