From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 09:05:16 -0600
> "Unheated"  (I presume it doesn't mean the product is held at
> absolute zero!)

Hive brood nest temp is about 95 F, so I would guess this is the max
permissible for 'unheated'.

> "Unfiltered" -  there is some mention of "strained", does that mean
> filtered? if not what size of filter/strainer is considered the
> border between strained/filtered  unfiltered/filtered?  10 microns?
> 100 microns? 1000? ......

Filtering required heat above what is mentioned above.  Straining is
coarser and can be done without heating.

The mesh involved for each varies with type and moisture content and
freshness of the honey (lack of granulation, thixotropic effects
etc.) and thus evades exact definition.  Howvever in practice, here
in Alberta, the smallest mesh for straining without a lot of
clogging is a little smaller than window screen.

Filtering goes to microscopic levels -- to the point where it is
possible to filter the colour out of unattractive honies.  These are
then put into industrial use.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>