From:
cass cohenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:11:47 +0000
First of all, I cut a notch on the front of the inner lid to allow forager
bees an easy access to the uppermost super and avoid the congestion of the
brood chambers and added ventilation to evaporate the water from the nectar.
It allows the bees to move in an out more easily and quicker which means
more honey. With the extra ventilation less bees are required to fan the
hive which means more bees may forage, equaling more honey. After two supers
which contain drawn comb are atop the excluder, an Imerie shim is placed
between the two supers which gives the bees yet another opening to avoid the
congested brood chamber. Never use the shim between two supers of foundation
or you will have an awlful mess of burr comb betwwen these supers. If a
third and forth super is added and drawn out, a shim is placed between them
as well. You can make your own shims, but the thickness of is to be no less
or greater than "bee space". Or you can purchase an Imirie Shim from Brushy
Hills Bee Farm in North Carolina. I make and use my own shims and roughly
half of the forager bees will use these extra openings to fill the supers
with the surplus while the other half will enter the main opening on the
floor to maintain the level of nectar needed to rear the brood.

MSN Movies - Trailers, showtimes, DVD's, and the latest news from Hollywood!
http://movies.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200509ave/direct/01/