From:
al picketts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 23:28:33 -0300
Tim
Yes. I have seen a dragonfly take a bee about five years ago. I had seen dragonflies darting about in several bee yards and suspected they were catching bees.  One day I was watching the bees flying with the late afternoon sun behind me so the bees were easy to see when I saw a dragonfly make a bee-line for a worker bee that was flying away from me. I had a front row seat and could see every detail of the attack. Like watching a fast attack plane come from the blind rear of another plane. It was the only time I ever saw such an event but the dragonfly did the deed so easily and efficiently that I can only assume that dragonflies do catch and eat many bees.  Couldn't even guess at the species name, sorry.
Al Picketts
Kensington, PEI, Ca.