Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 09:30:30 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Any large 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon jar can be used,
>  though the ones used in the food service for condiments (ketchup, salad
>  dressing, etc.) are great.  With a small nail, punch very small holes in
the
>  lid.  Fill the pail or jar with the sugar water and put the lid on.  At the
>  hive, turn it upside down over the inner cover hole.  A little will drain
>  out at first, but the vacuum pressure created inside will keep it from
>  draining (as long as the holes are small enough).  If the jar lid doesn't
>  cover the hole in the inner cover completely, a little duct tape over the
>  exposed part of the hole will solve that problem.

    I concur. It will get the feed to top of the cluster, where it is most
needed, no matter how cold, and it will reduce robbing and ant and other
critter problems. The boardman feeder should be banished forever.

    You can also use gallon paint cans. Latex should be washed thoroughly,
and oil paint should be allowed to cure thoroughly before use. One critical
point that is often missed, is that the pail/jar/can should be level. If it
is not, the surup will drain on the lower holes and the upper holes will
bubble air, so the vacuum will not work. The syrup is wasted because it comes
faster than the bees can take it, and then you REALLY have an ant problem.

    Most folks use too many holes anyway. Three holes in a row (made with
frame nails) is plenty. By putting them in a row, you can compensate for a
tilting hive (tilting the hives slightly forward is always a good idea, to
drain the bottom boards from rain and condensation). Just make sure the row
of holes in the lid is lined up, so that all are at the same level. Then the
jar won't bubble and drain out.

   Sometimes a can has an unnoticed pinhole or a lid won't seal properly, so
the jar will leak anyway. When you set the syrup feeder up, hold it above the
location where it will set, for a moment. Then if it's gonna' leak, you will
see it. If the vacuum is holding, set it down in position.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm