Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:22:23 -0700
Mats Andersson wrote:

> Hello you all.
>
> I have a question that i've been trying to find a good answer for. Do the
> bees really need a landing board on the hive?

I have built bottom boards with spacious landing platforms only to
observe the bees using only the first 1-2" at the hive entrance. So, for
"landing" purposes I would have to say, no. All I've accomplished is
providing a larger area to paint and maintain...

FWIW, in the summer, when the bees tend to cover the front of the hives,
they seem to prefer the large porch rather than hanging on the vertical
surfaces.

AL