From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:49:12 -0500
>It seems a stretch that queens could select sperm based on a
seasonally-important trait.

Right, but bees can select which larvae to rear. This is demonstrated by the
queenless colonies choosing which larvae to rear into queens, preferring
certain bloodlines over others. It appears that they may favor their own
sisters.

Therefore, subfamilies could develop within the colony based upon which
drones are present in the queen, but then certain subfamilies could assert
domination by eating competitor's eggs and preferentially raising their own
kin.

A queen can lay far more eggs than a given colony can care for, and it is
quite plausible that they could regulate the genetic make-up of the work
force in this manner.

>Regarding seasonal color changes, I can think of several ways this could
>happen: bees' pigment production could be affected by environmental stimuli

I agree, pigmentation can be affected by temperature, changing seasonally.

pb