From:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:11:25 -0800
The finger or comb joint doesn't increase the area of end grain when
compared to a simple butt joint.  In addition to avoiding reliance on end
grain on one side of the joint, the finger joint appreciably increases the
are of glued joint.  I prefer to use four screws on both faces, the first
full finger on both top and bottom.  One of the reasons I use a single
part epoxy is that the expanding material fills most voids in the complex
joint.  Use of deck screws eliminates any need to pre-drill. I use
Thompson's Water Seal on the exterior corners after the glue is set
and any excess has been scraped off and prior to painting.

The lap joint, on the other hand, cuts the exposed end grain by 50% more
or less.  However, it does rely on a substanital proportion of endgrain
for the glue bond and the mechanical component of the joint, screws or
nails, usually have half or less thickness of the stock on the lap side of
the joint.  After assembly, I use Thompson's water seal prior on at least
the exterior corners before painting.

Someone asked about the advantage of staples over nails: For one thing, a
staple resists parts' twisting.  However, each leg of the staple is
smaller and prone to wander as it goes into the stock, often with
surpising results.

Carefully done, stapling or nailing with pneumatic equipment is fine.  One
hand to nail, one to hold.  The same is true for screws.  It's easy to get
sloppy and if there's anyone else in the vicinity sloppiness can be
painful and more.

There are bench mounted biscuit cutters which will hanle butt joints.
The work much like a dovetail jig does holding the stock.  I'd still use
an expanding glue and a few screws or staples since you do need to clamp
the joints fully closed. Glenn is correct that biscuits are primarily an
alignment tool unless you can find laminated or solid ones.  Most are the
equivalent of particle board.  Nylon band clamps are fine for the purpose
if they are equipped with a ratchet.  I'd use a pair on each box - top and
bottom.

Investment in the equipment pretty much requires there to be a volume of
woodworking.  And when it comes to air tools, you usually get what you pay
for.  IOW, if you already have the air, and have only a few boxes to
assemble, a cheap tool will probably last long enough to warrant the
expense.  Otherwise, spring for a few bucks more, get a good tool or one
that will drive more than one type fastener.

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Glenn West wrote:

> I have often successfully used biscuits to join boards at right angles.  I
> agree that cutting the biscuit on the face of the board can be difficult,
> but not impossibly so.  Aligning the boards so that the outside edge of one
> board aligns with the end of the other is mostly a matter of cutting the
> slots in the correct manner.  Vertical alignment is also not much of a
> problem as the slots are cut slightly longer than the biscuits.  That said,
> I would offer that the biscuit doesn't really provide much strength.  It's
> mostly an alignment mechanism.  Moreover, end grain gluing doesn't provide
> a very strong joint either.  That's the beauty of the finger joint.

Richard Yarnell, SHAMBLES WORKSHOPS | No gimmick we try, no "scientific"
Beavercreek, OR. Makers of fine     | fix we attempt, will save our planet
Wooden Canoes, The Stack(R) urban   | until we reduce the population. Let's
composter, Raw Honey                | leave our kids a decent place to live.