From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 08:54:17 EST
In a message dated 3/19/99 10:53:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  Here is South Carolina  we have both Forsythia and Jasmine.
>  They are two different plants.
>
>  The forsythia is a decidious shrub, with the blooms appearing
>  before
>  the leaves pop out in the spring.

    Forsythia is a yard shrub, probably not native, and along the coast, will
often bloom all winter.

>  Jasmine on the other hand is more of a fast growing evergreen
>  vine
>  (there may be a variety that is more shrublike, but i believe it
>  is evergreen as well).
>
>  Before everyone crushes me, I do not know the scientific name of
>  either.

   Yellow jasamine is Gelsemium sempervirens. It blooms in early spring. I
believe it is native, at least it grows freely in the wild and is very common.
It is a vine, often growing on fences, or up small trees at the edge of a
forest. In checking a guidebook, it mentions that all parts of the plant are
poisonous. It says children have been poisoned by sucking nectar from the
flowers, apparently thinking it was honeysuckle.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm